The Flaming Lips have pretty much cornered the market on weird stuff. They embrace the strange with such open-armed vigor that the public has, to a certain extent, become anesthetized to their bizarro-world: Gummy skulls, blood records, etc. Yet, every time I begin to consider their weirdness just another part of every day life, I am reminded that no, these guys are really, truly nuts.
Their new video, and first taste from their upcoming collaboration project The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends, is "Girl, Your So Weird" and it lives up to its title -- and probably a little more. The tune sees the Lips pairing with one-man electro outfit New Fumes and delivering a Bowie-esque, narcotized piece of music. It's the video, though, that is extra next-level.
The clip features the Lips and a host of naked ladies in a room bathed in colored lights and disco-ball refractions. The crew busies themselves by firing off colored smoke bombs, wearing animal masks and peeing on the floor. Believe it or not, it's totally NSFW. Take a look at the madness below.
The album will be released on Record Store Day (April 21st). You can find the track-listing just underneath that weird, weird video.
Watch the Flaming Lips "Girl, You're So Weird" Video
The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends Tracklist:
01. 2012 (feat. Ke$ha and Biz Markie)
02. Ashes In The Air (feat. Bon Iver)
03. Helping The Retarded To Know God (feat. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros)
04. Supermoon Made Me Want To Pee (feat. Prefuse 73)
05. Children Of The Moon (feat. Tame Impala)
06. That Ain't My Trip (feat. Jim James of My Morning Jacket)
07. You, Man? Human? (feat. Nick